On the first of January, I started the interpretation of our theme for the year “Season of New Height”.
and we considered the declaration of Habakkuk in chapter 3:19
“THE LORD GOD IS MY STRENGTH, AND HE WILL MAKE MY FEET LIKE HINDS’ FEET,..
AND HE WILL MAKE ME TO WALK UPON MY HIGH PLACES”
We observed that two of the things required to attain new height are SPEED and PRECISION.
This we find in the hind – a female deer. Habakkuk says the Lord will grant him speed and precision like the hind.
We said that new height implies experiencing new positive things that carry you.
..from where you were to a higher level of greatness, glory, success or achievement.
From Habakkuk 3, We observed that:
- NEW HEIGHT SHALL BE BY CONFIDENCE IN GOD
- NEW HEIGHT SHALL BE BY DIVINE STRENGTH
- NEW HEIGHT SHALL BE BY ACKNOWLEDGING GOD
- NEW HEIGHT SHALL BE BY DIVINE MAKING/CONSTRUCTION –
- NEW HEIGHT SHALL BE BY CONFORMING TO DIVINE PATTERN
- NEW HEIGHT SHALL BE BY DIVINE DIRECTION
Today I want us to look at the story of a man that experienced new height.
..and how it came about trusting that the Lord will make that to be our experience this year.
The name of the man is Mephibosheth as recorded in 2 Samuel 9: 1-13.
Mephibosheth was Jonathan’s son.
Jonathan was Saul’s Heir who became David’s covenant friend. Saul was rejected as king, David was preferred.
Saul died, Jonathan died and David became king but did not forget the covenant he made with Jonathan his friend.
One day as king he thought of what he could do for the sake of his friend Jonathan so he raised the question in 2 Samuel 9:1
“And David said, Is there yet any that is left of the house of Saul, that I may shew him kindness for Jonathan’s sake? .
From this passage, I want to point out seven things about New heights.
- New height will come by divine remembrance – 2 Samuel 9:1 (1 Samuel 20:14-17, 42)
- New height will come by divine favor – 2 Samuel 9:1, 3.
Although Saul was David’s enemy, for Jonathan’s sake his house was to receive kindness from David the King.
- New height will come by the divine authority that cannot be resisted – 2 Samuel 9: 9-11
- New height will come in spite of your limitations – 2 Samuel 9:3, 8, 13 (2 Samuel 4:4)
- New height will come in spite of your location – 2 Samuel 9:4-5
- New height will come in spite of opposition – 2 Samuel 9:3
- New height will bring divine restoration – 2 Samuel 9:7
Listen to the sermon below: